Monday, September 10, 2007

The Black Holdsworth


A couple of weeks ago I scored a nice Holdsworth from TradeMe - same guy I bought the RRA from, in fact (thanks Steve! Keep 'em coming:)


It's almost identical to the Gillot - same tubeset so identical sizing, same lugs. It has pump pegs, the Gillot doesn't. The Gillot has rear rack bosses; the Holdsworth does not. They have nice hand-painted detailing at the top of the seat stays, same same but different. Presumably made in the same factory aroudn the same time and painted (or at least had it lugs detailed) by the same person. The Gillot has a metal head badge; the Holdsworth a sticker.


The Holdsworth had the usual problem of bikes of this age, namely a bent bottom bracket axle. Out comes the old Stronglight, in goes the Shimano UN53. Out comes the back wheel and in goes the new Sturmey-Archer 8 speed hub. It's very nice - will still need some tweaking, however. I haven't yet found a suitable place to mount the rotary shifter and it won't change into the higher gears reiably - presume there's too much cable tension. And it needs a new Nitto Technomic stem, like all bikes which run moustache bars.


So now I have two matched pairs of road bikes which fit me. Joy! It's like having four pairs of shoes in slightly different colours. I can choose which bike to ride based on what I'm wearing, how I'm feeling, the weather, anything. Choice as liberation:)


The Holdsworth is cool but it's not read to tour on yet. (Apart from anything else it needs a headset job koz it won't ride no-hands). For my next tour, the Gillot fixie is the steed of choice - stay toon'd for more updates. It's Waiouru to Hamilton via the west coast. Moihaha!


No comments: