Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ohariu Valley loop



It's nice out the back - I was chasing the sun so ended up first at Makara Beach. Nice view, but nowhere private to hang out, unless you wade the estuary and continue north around the cliffs.

Saw a few other Lycroids on bikes, all going faster than me, I'm pleased to say. I rode the Raleigh Record Ace with me Barley bag full of cupsive tea, gingernuts and other Blytonia. And I had long argyle socks on: my tea drinking credentials remain unassailable.
The RRA was good, despite slightly bad B17 saddle (it's in rather poor shape, like ma es) and the stiff Shimano shifters. Fundamentally a very sound bike, though the bottle cage mounts have died so I can't screw anything in. No big deal, though.
Oh, one note to the map - I actually went straight down the gully from Wakely Rd in Newlands and ended up at the bottom of Ngauranga gorge on the 4WD road, which I presume is Wakely Rd all the way. Google doesn't know about this, however, so it thinks I went down Centennial Highway. Which you can do, but I prefer the bumpy, no-cars way.

The picture above is one section of Makara Cemetary.

No comments: