Thursday, June 21, 2007

Route map

Into Hawera early afternoon. Bumly, the Tawhiti Museum is close for the winter which is a shame - looks really good. Anyway, I sifted around Hawera for a few hours then caught a bus back to Wellington.

Here's the whole route: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=ohakune,+nz&daddr=Whangamomona,+Manawatu-Wanganui,+New+Zealand+to%3Acardiff,New+Zealand+to%3Alowgarth,+nz+to%3Angaere,+nz+to%3Arawhitiroa,+nz+to%3Alake+rotokare,+nz+to%3Amaata,+Taranaki+New+Zealand+to%3Afraser+rd,+taranaki,+nz+to%3Ahawera,+nz&mrcr=8&sll=-39.461644,174.401093&sspn=0.769739,1.277161&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=-39.241826,174.874878&spn=0.772165,1.7276&z=10

Interestingly, the next day I found I had a remarkably acute pain under my right kneecap. My knee was fine for a five day winter tour, then snoozing on the bus I manage to injure it. Ah well, it came right 10 days later.

All in all a great tour. SH43 rocks and I reccomend it highly. Next time, I'd skip Ohakune and start at National Park and I'd spend more effort avoiding SH3. Probably catch a bus back to Welly from Stratford. Alternatively, train to Ohakune, west to Raetihi then down the Whanganui river road through Jerusalem to Wanganui. Could put these togethe into a nice loop, though getting from Stratford to Wanganui - which was my original intention - involves lots of stock trucks, animal food moonscapes and little old ladies who can't believe I'm riding a bike.

No comments: