Wednesday, June 09, 2004


"Clamont" 753 road bike, circa 1985. I bought this for NZ$600 when I was seventeen. The wheels are as false as the day I got 'em, and the ring need replacing, as does pretty much everything except the headset and bottom bracket which I've already attended to. It's nice and light, though as you can see, pretty steep and with really short chainstays. Interesting bits include a fully operational SunTour Superbe Pro rear mech and a Brooks Pro which I bought aged 13 at Williams Cycles of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, 20 years ago. It was like cast iron when I got it and for years I wouldn't work out how to soften it (and yes, I knew all the tricks but don't really approve of oil soaking and goats entrails and stuff). Eventually I got some movement happening by taking it off its seatpost, placing it in the floor and gently standing on it in stockinged feet. From that moment on we were friends. My dad could never work out why I bought a bike that couldn't accept mudguards or racks, and in retrospect I agree with him. This bike is slowly being restored - improvements happen incrementally, usually when I get stuck for something to ride - and one day will probably be resprayed. Incidentally, Clamont is the house brand of the Clarence Street Cyclery in Melbourne. Posted by Hello

No comments: